From Zipp, the leading engineers of speed for more than a quarter century, comes our most advanced clincher wheel ever – the Zipp 404 Firestrike™ Carbon Clincher. Think limited availability, unlimited capabilities. The Firestrike wheel series is Zipp’s ultimate exclusive wheel. As new designs, technologies and manufacturing techniques are proven out, they are rolled into new limited availability Firestrike wheelsets. Our introduction of the 404 Firestrike Carbon Clincher a year ago began this new era of innovation for Zipp.
The 404 Firestrike Carbon Clincher is designed for durability and impact resistance but, at 1,620 grams per wheelset, is also light weight. Simply put, Zipp set the industry standard for strength and durability in a carbon clincher. With its versatile 58mm rim depth, the 404 Firestrike Carbon Clincher it stands as our pinnacle carbon clincher to overcome the resistive forces slowing you down – whether it’s aero drag, wind-induced steering torque, rain soaked roads, or tight corners. Each version of Firestrike has limited availability – we’re manufacturing just four hundred and four (yes, 404) wheelsets each for the new 404 Firestrike Carbon Clincher and 404 Firestrike Tubular.
Additional new innovations and features in the 404 Firestrike Carbon Clincher:
- CeramicSpeed® bearings are the lowest resistance hybrid ceramic (ceramic balls and steel races). Smooth rolling bearings put every last watt into moving you toward your goal.
- Zipp’s ImPress™ direct-print black razor graphic for improved aesthetics and weight savings over traditional decals.
- Newly designed titanium quick-release skewers have a wider more ergonomic handle to provide more leverage for opening and closing. When closed, the lever contours neatly with the frame.
- Zipp Valve Extenders by Silca™ provides easy inflation with an external gasket for no annoying rattle at the valve hole.
Zipp’s Firestrike design, which draws on the same rim patent used in Firecrest®, also includes premium performance advancements:
- Showstopper™ brake track technology applies a molded in brake track pattern and introduces a Silicon Carbide (SiC) surface for wet weather braking. Showstopper technology delivers greater stopping power in wet conditions than any carbon wheel ever produced, offering braking on par with aluminum braking surfaces.
- CFD (computational fluid dynamics) designed Firestrike rim shape provides a 34% reduction in side force while maintaining the aero performance of our Firecrest rims, for the ultimate in aero balance.
- Revised ABLC® (Aerodynamic Boundary Layer Control) smooths airflow through more frequent and smaller vortices, providing unmatched stability and control on even the windiest days.
- The Zipp 88/188v10 hubset adds torsional stiffness gained through the use of a 2-cross lacing pattern utilizing Sapim® CX-Ray® spokes and precision-set the bearing pre-load. That means no bearing pre-load adjustment is ever required.
Each 404 Firestrike Clincher includes Zipp black titanium skewer, Zipp valve extender by Silca™, Zipp tube 700c x 23mm, Zipp rim tape 700c x 20mm, Zipp individual wheel bag and Zipp Platinum Pro Evo brake pads.
*188v10 hubset and associated hubset parts are not cross-compatible with the 188v9 hubset or hubset parts.